We had our first peek at the upcoming flood maps for the town of Dennis, suffice it to say, there will be a dramatic increase in the amount of town included in the flood zones. Please keep an eye on this space for further updates.
The proposed schedule for review is:
- Approximately April 25th we will receive the draft maps for review.
- Approximately June 1 the notice that the maps are available for review and appeal will be published in the Federal Register. This will start a 90 day period for changes. More likely people will be guided towards filing Letters of Map Amendment.
- Approximately September 1 the appeal period is completed.
- Late 2013/early 2014 final maps are delivered for adoption at town meeting.
- May 2014 Town Meeting Adoption.
As with the last go-round, we will be holding a meeting with state and federal officials some time after April 25th to allow for a public review of the maps. I have requested that they make available at least a part of a day to meet with residents.
For anyone wondering what the maps might look like, the best I can say is look back at the May 2009 maps, this is close to what we will be receiving. In fact, the maps could come in with even more of the town included in the flood zone than these 2009 maps,